Once again a really simple recipe with only a few ingredients, a perfect comfort food and ideal choice for sunny days outdoors or rainy days indoors. (Ohh yes and I will sue the GoldenArch as it was my idea first this week not theirs)
So first things first, for a buttermilk fried chicken we need some buttermilk and a few pieces for chicken (surprisingly): get some breasts and thighs, if you can find skin-ons then go for it, the skin will add some extra crunchiness but skinless will do the job as well. Add salt and pepper to the chicken pieces, and some garlic powder to the buttermilk, the pour the buttermilk over the chicken and let it rest in the fridge anytime between 30 mins to 24 hrs, ideally for 1-2hrs. Lets prepare the coating: Mix the cayanne pepper, paprika powder, black pepper, oninon powder (you can add everything you like) with the flour. Take the chicken out of the fridge, and place the pieces one by one into the flour-spices mix, and coat it well, pressing the flour into the meat thoroughly on every side. Repeat this will all the pieces, placing the coated ones on a plate or on a wire-rack. In a deep frying pan or wok heat the oil on medium, and when its hot enough (just drop some of stuck pieces of flour to test, if its sizzling then its ready) place the breaded pieces into the oil – usually 3-4 pieces at the same time as otherwise the temperature of the oil will drop and fry the chicken 8-15 mins depending on size and thickness. Place the fried pieces on the wire-rack again.
The Nashville part: just get some hot sauce of your choice and preference, you can simply use some chinese chili oil, sriracha, your secret favourite, and of course you can prepare your own, mixing whatever you have with some hot or cold oil.
Assembly: for this one i prefer thick white toast bread, but you can use buns as well. spread some mayo on the bread add pickled gherkin, the fried chicken and a dash of the hot sauce of your choice. And done 🙂
Nashville Buttermilk Fried Chicken
- - 4pcs chicken breasts or tighs
- - 200-300ml Buttermilk
- - Cayanne pepper, black pepper, paprika powder, garlick powder, granulated onion, salt, (+ anything you like)
- - 200gr flour
- - 750 -1000ml vegetable oil
- - 8 slices of thick white toast bread or 4 buns
- - hot sauce of your choice
- - mayo
- - 4 larger pieces of pickled gherkins.
- Step 1 – Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper
- Step 2 - Add garlic powder to the buttermilk
- Step 3 - Pour the buttermilk over the chicken pieces and let it rest for 30+ mins up to 24 hrs
- Step 4 - Mix the spices with the flour
- Step 5 - Coat the chicken pieces with the seasoned flour
- Step 6 - Deep-fry the chicken pieces until golden brown and crispy outside and well cooked inside (8-15 mins depending on thickness)
- Step 7 - Spread mayo over the bread, add the pickled gherkins, chicken and finally the hot sauce of your choice.